Ep #23: Believing in Yourself and Going After Your Goals with Jim Cathcart
My guest today is an accomplished speaker, leadership development expert, mentor, strategic advisor, and motivational expert. With 42 years of experience, Jim Cathcart has given over 3,200 speeches worldwide, including one of the most highly viewed TEDx talks of all time. Also the author of 19 books, including The Acorn Principle and Relationship Selling, Jim’s worldview and growth mindset are not only inspirational, but also powerful drivers for his success.
In this episode, Jim shares his incredible journey from being overweight and underpaid to getting into the best shape of his life and working with his personal heroes. Listen in to hear the pivotal moment that changed the course of his life, what holds too many of us back from our dreams, and advice for maximizing your potential to make an impact on the world.
What You’ll Learn In Today’s Episode:
- The powerful decision that changed Jim’s life.
- Tips for capitalizing on your potential.
- Why it’s so important to continually push yourself.
- A common way people sabotage themselves.
- What the Acorn Principle is.
- How people unnecessarily limit themselves.
- The important mindset that leads to success.
- What Jim says is at the base of most of the dysfunction in society.
- Books that have impacted his life.
- The amazing story of how he met and worked with his heroes.
- Advice for aspiring leaders and entrepreneurs who want to make an impact on the world.
Ideas Worth Sharing:
If you don’t have pushback, you’ve got no way to develop a muscle. … I need the situations to be scary so that I have to face my fears and develop courage. I cannot develop courage in a classroom learning about courage. -… Click To Tweet
Most of the world as I see it and have known it is understandable on some level, and you can be proactive in causing good things to happen. – @jimcathcart Click To Tweet
The vast majority of people underestimate not only themselves, but life in general. -@jimcathcart Click To Tweet
Resources In Today’s Episode:
- Jim Cathcart: Site | LinkedIn | Twitter | YouTube | Email
- The Acorn Principle: Know Yourself, Grow Yourself by Jim Cathcart
- Relationship Selling by Jim Cathcart
- Jim’s TEDx Talk: How To Believe in Yourself
- See You At The Top by Zig Ziglar
- The Greatest Salesman in the World by Og Mandino
- Earl Nightingale
- The Strangest Secret by Earl Nightingale
- Lead the Field by Earl Nightingale
- Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
- How To Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
- The Power of Positive Thinking: 10 Traits for Maximum Results by Dr. Norman Vincent Peale
- Success Through A Positive Mental Attitude by Napoleon Hill and W. Stone