Ep #59: Becoming Indistractable with Nir Eyal
Why is it so easy for us to get to the end of the day and realize we haven’t done everything we set out to do? Why is it so common for people to get distracted when trying to work on their goals? Nir Eyal, the bestselling author of Hooked and the upcoming Indistractable, joins the show today to share the root cause of distraction, as well as what it takes to build healthy habits that serve us.
Listen in to hear Nir break down what it means to be indistractable and how to understand distraction on a whole different level. You’ll learn the root cause of distraction, how to ensure you’re spending your time in a way that reflects your priorities, and more.
What You’ll Learn In Today’s Episode:
- The true opposite of distraction.
- How habits can be leveraged in business and our personal lives.
- What it means to be indistractable.
- The problem with most products out there.
- What time blocking is and why it’s so important
- The lie the self-help community has convinced us of.
- Whether or not we have limited self-control and willpower.
- The role of technology in distraction.
Ideas Worth Sharing:
We don’t have a knowledge gap. What we have is a gap in our understanding of why we don’t do things we know we should do. – @NirEyal Click To Tweet
Becoming indistractable is becoming the kind of person who strives to do what they say they’re going to do. – @NirEyal Click To Tweet
The opposite of distraction is not focus; the opposite of distraction is TRACTION. – @NirEyal Click To Tweet
Resources In Today’s Episode:
- Nir Eyal: Website | Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn | Medium
- Focus Mate
- Hooked by Nir Eyal
- Indistractable by Nir Eyal
- “Akrasia: Why Do We Act Against Our Better Judgement?”
- Goethe Quote
- Martin Seligman
- Mindset by Carol S. Dweck
- Ulysses by James Joyce
- Mastering Achievement In Three Easy Steps by Trevor Blattner
- Join the VIP launch list for my upcoming book – You Can Be A Master: How to Become a Top Performer By Using The Evidence on Expertise!