How To Build On Failure | Dr. Ivan Joseph
It’s a great pleasure to welcome Dr. Ivan Joseph on today’s episode. Dr. Joseph is a self-confidence expert. He has a background in athletics with immense success coaching soccer and serving as the Director of Athletics at Ryerson University. He was applauded for coaching the Ryerson Rams to first-time national championship twice and first-time provincial championship several times. Dr. Joseph also has a Ph.D. in sports psychology from Capella University. His sports background made him a master of understanding what motivates people and how they can build themselves up to optimize their performances.
Dr. Joseph is currently the Vice-President, Student Affairs at Wilfrid Laurier University where his role encompasses a wide range of responsibilities including enriching the student experience, strategic planning, fundraising, marketing, and development of sports facilities, among others. Dr. Joseph served in a similar capacity as Vice Provost, Student Affairs at Dalhousie University before choosing to return home to be closer to family.
In 2012, he gave a TEDx talk titled “The Skill of Self Confidence” and it has now been viewed more than 20 million times on YouTube. Dr. Joseph also published an excellent book titled You Got This: Mastering The Skill of Self-Confidence which was included in Amazon’s Top 10 Most Gifted Books in Business Mentoring & Coaching category in 2018.
Anyone, especially emerging leaders, will find this episode truly enriching. Listen in and join us as Dr. Joseph shares his advice on building self-worth and self-confidence and how these will change your life.
● From Helping Himself Be In Control to Helping Others [2:23]
● Personality Types and the Tendency to Lose Confidence [5:17]
● Failure – How Do You Build On It? [11:09]
● Why Mentorship Is Essential [15:03]
● Writing Yourself A Confidence Letter [17:45]
● The Global Trait and Belief [27:31]
● Dr. Joseph’s Process for Achieving Clarity of Purpose [34:22]
● Book Recommendations [37:12]
Resources Mentioned In This Episode:
● I believe anyone can be a leader in today’s world that’s why I’ve created a short, user-friendly book called Redefining the Top 1 Percent. Get your FREE copy by joining our Facebook Group here. Not only are you getting a free copy of my book, you’ll also get lots of FREE training and resources on a weekly basis.
● Head to drivanjoseph.com and check out Dr. Joseph’s workshops, book, blog, and quote cards to keep you motivated and driven in bringing out the confident leader in you!
● Get a FREE chapter of Dr. Joseph’s book here! You can also place the coupon code “IVANJOSEPH” to get a discount when you make the purchase.
● Connect with Dr. Joseph by sending him an email or through the following:
● Book Recommendations:
o The Inner Game of Tennis: The Classic Guide to the Mental Side of Peak Performance by W. Timothy Gallwey
o Golf is Not a Game of Perfect by Dr. Bob Rotella
o Who Moved My Cheese by Dr. Spencer Johnson
“Progress involves failure.”
“The road to excellence doesn’t go straight up. It’s not that first draft.”
“Nobody does anything alone.”
“Showing up on the field feeling good about yourself? What an amazing accomplishment!”
“Happiness and optimism fuels high performance and excellence.”
“But we don’t spend time thinking about clarity of purpose and alignment of purpose with where we are in our lives and where we’re working, and I think that’s really key.”
“I want people to understand why they’re making those big decisions and what’s driving those big decisions.”
Ways to Subscribe to Redefining The Top One Percent: