Resilient Josh Perry | Pro BMX Athlete & Brain Tumor Survivor
Get ready for a very inspiring story. We’re glad to have with us today, Josh Perry, a Pro BMX Athlete and a Multiple Brain Tumor Survivor.
Josh Perry was born and raised on Cape Cod, MA, where he developed his passion for BMX bike riding. When he was 17, he moved to Greenville, NC to ride with the best riders in the world, including Dave Mirra, and pursue a career as a pro BMX athlete. In April of 2010, at the young age of 21, Josh underwent surgery to remove a brain tumor, taking up the entire left side of his brain and leading him to go blind. In November of 2012, he had Elekta’s Gamma Knife Radiation treatment to treat two areas of re-growth from the initial surgery.
With his experiences with brain tumors and injuries, Josh became very passionate about learning about food and the correlation to our health and wellbeing, as well as sharing information with others in hopes of helping them become well.
Today, Josh and I talked about his journey to becoming a BMX Athlete, and his experience in learning he has a brain tumor. What a strong and inspiring man he is! We also talked about food and nutrition, and his passion for helping others become well.
● Resilient Josh Perry: Pro BMX Athlete & Brain Tumor Survivor [3:38]
● Josh’s Post-Surgery Recovery [13:32]
● Gamma Knife Radiosurgery: Josh’s Second Round of Treatment [15:38]
● Becoming Health Conscious [18:10]
● How to Test and Track Your Blood? [22:05]
● Simple Health Tips and Advice for Everyone [27:27]
● A Peek Through Josh’s Typical Day [30:15]
● Electrolytes and Exogenous Ketones [35:00]
● Book Recommendations [38:58]
AND MUCH MORE!
Resources Mentioned In This Episode:
● If you are a future or aspiring business leader who wants to achieve the next level of success in your profession, get started by getting my FREE video short course: The Secret to Unleashing Your Top 1 Percent.
● Get to know more about Josh Perry, his inspiring story of being a brain tumor survivor, and his eating habits through his website: joshperrybmx.com.
● Connect with Josh:
● Book Recommendations:
o Grain Brain by David Perlmutter
o The Ketogenic Bible by Jacob Wilson
o Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
o Breaking the Habit of Being Yourself by Joe Dispenza
“About 70-75% of our genes can be influenced with lifestyle.”
“What we think, act, and what we consume affect our genetic makeup.”
“When you get hit in the head, your glucose uptake in the brain for energy goes down. But, the transporters that shuffle ketones from the blood into the cells go up.”
“It’s not diet. It’s a lifestyle.”
“Part of the process is learning how to critique meals and snacks on the go so that way, you can live this lifestyle.”
“When you are on a low carbohydrate ketogenic diet, you are reducing the amount of starch and carbohydrates in what you are eating. When that happens, your blood sugar levels start to lower to an optimal range. In doing so, your insulin levels start to level as well.”
“Salt is your friend. If you don’t have enough, you can be insulin-resistant to some degree.”